TRUST GOD ONE DAY AT A TIME! &
“PRAY WITHOUT CEASING! ”

Never let anything so fill you with sorrow as to make you forget the joy of the Christ risen...Mother Teresa

BELIEVE
To believe is to know that every day is a new beginning.It is to trust that miracles happen, and dreams really do come true.To believe is to see angels dancing among the clouds,To know the wonder of a stardust sky and the wisdom of the man in the moon.To believe is to know the value of a nurturing heart,The innocence of a child’s eyes and the beauty of an aging hand,for it is through their teachings we learn to love.To believe is to find the strength and courage that lies within us.When it is time to pick up the pieces and begin again.To believe is to know we are not alone,That life is a gift and this is our time to cherish it.To believe is to know that wonderful surprises are just waiting to happen,And all our hopes and dreams are within reach.If only we believe.
- Author Unknown

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, All I have and call my own.

You have given all to me. To you, Lord, I return it.

Everything is yours; do with it what you will. Give me only your love and your grace, that is enough for me.

Friday, November 12, 2010

The Fragility of Life

















Life is so fragile we never know day to day what it will bring. I'm a hairstylist and because I’m in daily contact with many people I come face to face with all their joys and unfortunately their pain.
It is their pain that touches my heart every day, I have witnessed from my clients and in my own life that something can happen in a second that can change a day of pure joy into a day of painful circumstances.
Yesterday one of my favorite clients came in for her monthly appt. and right away I could see something was wrong. Well, I was shocked when through tears she told me that one of her sons died. Her son was only 47 years old, left a wife and a 5 year old little boy. He died unexpectedly of heart failure.
It is these stories that I encounter daily that reinforce my belief that we need to live each day as it is our last, trust in God and do our best to treasure each moment. Not an easy task but something we should strive for. We ( I ) sometimes waste so much energy worrying, obsessing or getting upset at things that I have no control over, or if I’m really honest, are so insignificant and unimportant. Unfortunately it seems to take something huge and usually devastating in your life or in someone else's to realize what you have around, taking a good look at the things that matter most in life, appreciating them and holding on to the important things as you let go of those that aren't as a reminder of the fragility of life. Even when you do realize those things sometimes it is all too easy to lose your way again and get caught up in everyday life, and forget how fragile life is, ours and those whom we love.
So let's LIVE. Live as richly as deeply, as bravely, as boldly, as intensely and fully as we can, believing that there is not a moment in life that is not breathtaking, precious, and extraordinary.
“Life is fragile – handle with prayer.”

 The Serenity Prayer

God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen
This is the Full Original Copy of the Serenity Prayer
by Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971)




















Many people die with their music still in them. Why is this so? Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

 
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is the special occasion. ~Author Unknown


Visit Spiritual Sundays for more weekend blessings, hosted by Charlotte and Ginger.
                                                          Sweet Blessings.
                                                               Virginia

20 comments:

PCovi said...

So sorry for that family.
Hugs to you Virginia!

Anonymous said...

That's very sad about your client's son and the family he leaves behind. This is a wonderful post and a good reminder to treasure each moment.

Karen said...

I know that your compassion and listening ear means a lot. Bless you

Anonymous said...

Your clients return to you time and time again, not just because you perform well... but because you care. May God continue to bless your work.

Tete said...

We sometimes put too much time and energy on things that really don't matter. We need to embrace our priorities and hang onto the most simple of things. God, love, family, friends- everything else can be replaced or we can live without.
Great post and I love this prayer. I used to be a control freak- like I had power or something. I was wrong. LOL
It's easier being an indian instead of trying to be the chief without a tribe.
Hugs- Tete

Nikki (Sarah) said...

Virgina...your words and this story touched me.I feel what you said...life can change in a heartbeat for any of us...and to take each day as the gift it is....You're the best...

Patti said...

Praying for that family right now, that the Lord would lavish his grace and peace upon them as they grieve their loss.

Your post is a wonderful reminder to embrace today...because we're not guaranteed tomorrow.

Love,
Patti

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

What a sad story. I have to admit that I am one of those people who waste to much energy on worrying. I love what you wrote,Live is fragile handle with prayer,AMEN!
God Bless,
Ginger

Joan Hall said...

The book of James says that life is but a vapor. Earlier this year a friend of ours was killed on his way to work. He was a flight nurse who had previously survived a helicopter crash, but fell asleep while driving and hit an 18-wheeler. While we know that he is in heaven, we who are left behind miss them.

I am so sorry for your client's family.

Blessings,
Joan

myletterstoemily said...

thank you, virginia, for this wise
encouragement. my mother in
law always urges me to stop saving
my china for just the special times.

enjoy it! this transfers to all of
life.

i have never read the serenity
prayer in its entirety!

INSIDE THE SHRINK said...

We do take life for granted. I am especially struck by the quote from an unknown source not to save anything for a special occasion because living is the special occasion. God bless you, Dr. Bobbi

Renee said...

I really like the full version of the Serenity Prayer and don't hear it very often. It spoke to me today in so many ways...Very insightful post. God be with you.
www.myautumnyears.blogspot.com

Musings of A Minister said...

Wow! What a powerful post. In my opinion this is a post that is needed by all of us. Thank you for writing this and helping nudge us in the right way of thinking.

Veronica Lee said...

This is so sad. Thank you for this insightful post.

Have a blessed Sunday!

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Hello Virginia, Yes we need to make the best out of life. My own two sons are going through hard times and my heart aches for them.
Prayer is the only way out.

You too can pray over everyone's head as you fix their hair, how wonderful.
God Bless. xxxx

Ruth said...

its so very sad to hear about the loss your client had.... thanks for reminding us to live every moment as though it was our last...

Blessings and Hugs to you!
Ruth

Anita Johnson said...

“Life is fragile – handle with prayer.” Perfect!

Charlotte said...

This post goes right along with my post this week. Life is so fragile. When tragedy, real tragedy, strikes it makes most of the little things we obsess and worry about seem so insignificant, which they really are. Thank you for this reminder.
Blessings,
Charlotte
BTW I like the quotes on your sidebar.

Anonymous said...

They will be in my prayers.

Jocelyn said...

So sorry about your client's lose. Very touching story.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/